The artistic and archaeological evidence preserved inside the museum exhibitions of Pesaro, tell a story that begins over two thousand years ago when, during the Iron Age, the Piceni populations began to settle near the Monte Ardizio hill, just south of modern day Pesaro. Founded as a Roman colony in 184 BC, the town went through all the Roman and medieval periods, to then being ruled during the renaissance centuries by some of the most prominent Italian families of those times: the Malatesta, the Sforza and the Della Rovere which have enriched the city with monuments and extraordinary works of art. Much of this artistic heritage, together with a rich collection of ceramics from the nearby territories belonging at that time to the Duke of Urbino, are now preserved in the Town Museum, which also holds one of the most amazing works of art of the Italian Renaissance: the 1475 Coronation of the Virgin, by Giovanni Bellini.
Just a short walk from the Town Museum, the Diocese Museum displays precious archaeological and art objects belonging to local church heritage, while Oliveriani Museums hold important archaeological finds and books, mostly collected by 18th Century local history enthusiast Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri. Finally, located between the old town and the beach quarter, the Maritime Museum is an enjoyable collection of local heritage related to life at sea and around it, created by the committed work of local maritime enthusiast Washington Patrignani.